Computational fluid dynamics
CONSULTATION | DESIGN | DEVELOPMENT
Optimize components and their development costs at the same time
Test series for devices and components involving fluid flows can easily turn into cost drivers in the development and optimization of products. Numerical flow simulation (CFD) can be a useful supplement here. The simulation can be used to approximate the behaviour of valves or components. Thus the number of tests can be reduced and at the same time the quality of the results improved.
The optimization of components can be realized as a pure CFD project. If required, the results of the simulations can be validated by real measurements at the CSE High Pressure Loop.
Proven knowledge in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics is essential for the correct handling of simulation software. The CSE engineering has well-founded know-how in the thermodynamics of real gases, in flows of multi-phase multi-component flows and in the sizing/optimization of safety devices.
CSE managing director Prof. Jens Denecke Denecke is Professor of Thermodynamics at the University of Karlsruhe and looks back on extensive experience in CFD projects from industry and research. Due to our long-standing cooperation with well-known valve manufacturers and our project experience in safety engineering, we are able to understand the specifics of your components and to determine optimization potentials together with you.
The research results of the CSE Institute in the field of CFD, which are continuously incorporated into the project work of our engineers, are a valuable addition.
This means that you also have access to in-depth technical expertise and the latest CFD simulation developments. Let’s talk about it.
In a first briefing the basic questions about the project are discussed, including in particular:
- Geometries of the flow area and surrounding components
- Stationary or unsteady flow
- Real substance data for high pressure applications
- Heat transport within the flow area or across the system boundaries
- Chemical reactions of substances involved
In general a CFD simulation is developed for a specific scenario with limited scope in order to obtain valid results.
- Creation of the flow area / assignment of geometry
- Select models, boundary conditions, initial conditions
- Determination of the calculation methods | mathematics (discretization, termination criteria)
- Grid calculation, local optimizations
- Approximate solution of the system of equations
- We use the Star CCM+ simulation software as standard
- Graphical evaluation and analysis of the results
- Interpretation of the results and creation of the report
- Advice on further steps and optimisation potential
For your individual solution within the defined project specification you will receive a results report with the analysis and interpretation of the calculation results. We adapt the scope and content of the report according to your requirements. Talk to us.
The period of a CFD project depends on many different factors, such as the complexity of the task and, associated with this, the computing times. For this reason, a joint meeting is held at the beginning of the project to discuss your needs and requirements. On this basis we estimate the time required and provide you with a detailed offer.